Skip to main content

#8: International Media

Social Media Laws -  Ban on memes? 

What is a meme?

According to a quick wikipedia search, "A meme (/miːm/ MEEM[1][2][3]) is an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture—often with the aim of conveying a particular phenomenon, theme, or meaning represented by the meme". 

Why does it matter?

You may not realize it, but memes are super important to our internet culture. Okay so I am a little ashamed that I just used the words "internet culture", but it is what it is. It is almost impossible to get on any social media without seeing one of these little buggers. They are hilarious, sometimes controversial, sometimes just dumb, and overall a great thing to have clogging up your phone memory. 

What would happen if we no longer could post memes? The world as we know it would implode- okay maybe not. That's a little dramatic. A new EU copyright law may just be what brings on the armageddon of the internet. Net Neutrality who? 

This law is called the European Union Directive on Copyright in the Digital Single Market. You may be out of breath after reading that, but that's the least of your worries. If you're American like me you have nothing to worry about- cue the star spangled banner playing in the distance. This law ideally protects copyrighted work. Which is good, everyone wants credit for their own work right? 

What does this mean for the memes?

"Currently, companies like Facebook and YouTube will remove copyrighted work if asked, but are not financially responsible for its upload. In reality, the new law — which has recently been backed by members of the European Parliament — will be difficult to enforce without the help of filters. And it is this piece of technology that could spell the accidental ban of memes." Bustle





This is troublesome for memes and GIFs! They thrive on copyrighted content. Memes don't make money from this copyrighted content, but they still could possibly be banned.  In fact, memes and GIFs can be used to promote things on social media. Think back to the sheer amount of One Dance by Drake memes. 


Companies are telling us not to worry- our precious memes are safe. They will somehow filter out the memes from the supposedly banned copyrighted content. How exactly are they supposed to filter out these goldmines from the supposed bane of the internet? It is going to be pretty difficult. 

"As Wired explains, Article 13 specifically states that certain platforms will need to install upload filters. The only way a platform that hosts user-generated content will be able to avoid implementing these filters is if it ticks all three of the following boxes:
It has been around for less than three years.
It has an annual turnover below €10 million.
It has less than five million unique monthly visitors." (Bustle).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#3 - Lifestyle and Popular Culture

 Have you ever seen someone actually shed tears immediately after walking into a store? This past weekend I went to a conference in Dallas, Texas. After the conference we went and did what any self respected women would do- go shopping. One of my friends was absolutely dying to go to the Galleria in Dallas for one reason and one reason alone- Morphe.  Morphe is a makeup brand created in 2008. They started with just make up brushes but expanded to different types of makeup. They are known for their quality and for being cost efficient. They still carry makeup brushes, tools, and different types of makeup for eyes, face, cheeks, and lips. Morphe is a brand that has been distributed online and through other stores such as Ulta. Very recently the brand has expanded to their own brick and mortar store. I got the opportunity to go to this store for the first time this weekend. As far as I know there is very few Morphe brand stores. The brick and mortar store in Texas has not ...

#10: Wildcard

I have been speeding through assignments left and right tonight. Just as a humble brag, I have done five assignments tonight (After getting off work at nine), and this will be my sixth? Why in such a hurry you may ask? Well, I have a big procrastination problem. I always get my assignments done on time for the most part however.  What makes me procrastinate the most? I tend to be attached to my phone- and this show on Hulu called This is Us. In fact, I promised myself that I can totally binge watch the rest of the first season if I would just finish this pile of assignments I need to finish. Last night, I was washing the dishes when I knocked my beloved iPhone SE into the sink. While this phone was tough as a brick, it was no match for the soapy hot water that infiltrated it. Now it is literally a brick. Today I had to go spend two hours at Verizon. The store manager was an angel, and truly had the best customer service. I promise the two hour wait was not her fault. I ended ge...

#5: Movies

I chose to pick a movie that I have never seen before me writing this. I did not get to experience this movie in theaters unfortunately, but through my Hulu subscription. This movie stood out to me because it is referenced in a song I like, and who can resist figure skating and scandal? I love watching figure skating at the olympics, and this movie game me a new perspective of that.  I, Tonya follows the rise and the fall of the figure skater Tonya Harding in the late 1980s and early1990's. Once incredibly famous for doing something no woman has done before, she has spiraled into infamy just as perfectly as her triple axel.  In a world where figure skaters are seen as poised and ethereal, Tonya was simply herself - a victim of her environment.  I, Tonya got amazing reviews from IMDB , Rotten Tomatoes , and Metacritic . The movie came out in 2017 and made 54 million at the box office. The movie stars Margot Robbie, Allison Janey, and Sebastian Stan among other...